Simple Corsage Tutorial


A fresh flower corsage is a traditional and fun way to honor a woman you love. And, you don't need to hop over to a florist to do it! All you need is floral tape, pins, kitchen shears, ribbon, and of course, some fresh flowers.
I usually get my flowers for small projects like this at my local grocery store. I recommend getting a bunch of mixed flowers that you like the look of rather than picking out individual flowers. You can get more variety this way and it lets you get a flavor for how your arrangements will look before you start. Right now the prices are jacked up for Mother's Day, but at $8.99, this bunch will be plenty for several corsages, and I'll still have some left to arrange in a Mason Jar.
Oh, don't forget the secret ingedient: coffee!
I start by picking 4-5 blooms I like and cutting them out of the bunch with 3-inch stems.
These yellow spray roses are so sweet! I'm going to use the floral tape to join them together, with one sticking up a little higher than the other.

Floral tape is amazing stuff! It sticks to itself when you apply a little pressure with your fingertips. No pins are needed! It's also waterproof. I bet MacGuyver would be able to build a jetpack out of floral tape and clothespins.

Next, I'm going to add in this green pom in the gap, and then add in the filler. I always include some kind of berry, greenery, or greenery for texture.

There! I don't even think it needs the daisy.
Now I'm going to cut the stems to a more reasonable length and wrap a little more floral tape around the bottom.

Let's finish it with a ribbon. Lately I've been doing just a simple bow which looks very chic. If you want a more traditional ribbon with "foof", see instructions here.

Now that we've got a finished corsage, how in the world will we get it on the lovely lady? That's where to corsage pins come in.

I use two pins. First, I push one straight down into the fabric I'm pinning it to and then into the floral stems covered in tape. (And, when pinning it on a lady, I ask if I can put my other hand behind her collar to protect her from stray pins. Everyone always answers an enthusiastic "yes please!")


Then, I push one in at a 45 degree angle. This will help keep the corsage from tipping forward. If you want extra security, use a third pin on the other side, also at a 45 degree angle.
Making corsages are not hard at all with a little practice. Remember, God made the flowers and they are beautiful already. You just have to make them stick together. You can do this! It's a great way to honor a mom, grandma, or other awesome lady for many occasions. Think weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

I made a set for my grandparents for their 60th anniversary. That's 60 years of marriage, folks! I can barely wrap my head around this! (And, these two celebrated 61 years last month!)

You can use pretty much any kind of flower that you love for this project. The possibilities are endless. Here are some more tips to get you started:
  • If you want to include a large flower such as a full-size rose or carnation, use only one of those types of blooms and two smaller flowers or fillers. No one wants a garden growing out of their shoulder!
  • Try contrasting colors to make things POP!
  • If you want to make a boutonniere for a gentleman, use only 1 flower and no bow. You may also wish to keep the stems longer so he can push it through his buttonhole to help balance the flower.
  • If you make your corsage ahead of time, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Keep it away from rotting fruits and vegetables, which can cause flowers to spoil prematurely.
  • If you are afraid of corsage pins, elastic wrist corsage bands are available at craft stores like AC Moore and Michael's, along with the floral tape and pins.
  •  
    Finally, dear readers, because it is Mother's Day this weekend...I'd like to take the time to remind you that while many are celebrating, there are like also many women around you who find Mother's Day to be one of the hardest days of the year. Perhaps they desire children but battle infertility, have endured miscarriages, or haven't found a love to even contemplate such things with. Our society often doesn't know how to address this kind of pain so it often goes ignored.  I personally am blessed with two wonderful boys. I also lost a child to miscarriage almost three years ago. I cannot imagine the pain of those who have experienced that kind of a loss and also have empty arms, especially this weekend.

    So, if you take time to honor a mother this weekend, please also consider writing a note to someone who longs to be a mother, letting her know she is not forgotten. If you make a corsage, drop of the rest of the bouquet on her doorstep for her to enjoy and let know that you are thinking of her! It may mean a world of difference to another sweet woman.

    Fondly,
    Susan @ Busy at Home

    Linking up to:

    Weekend Bloggy Reading

    Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment