Playroom Coffee Table Redo

I am so very excited to share my latest project with you! So excited, that I've decided to skip the Twenty-Minute Tuesday feature this week and show you this coffee table redo instead! It took a lot longer than twenty minutes to complete, but I'm so pleased to have a kid-safe table for our playroom now.

Despite it's worn appearance in its before state, this table was loved like an old friend. It's sharp edges, though, were less than friendly. For safety's sake, it had been in the basement since our oldest learned to toddle. Goodness knows I've banged my shins on it more times than I care to remember. I wanted a table for the playroom, though, so it was time for a makeover.

She has good "bones", don't you think?
As with my painted dresser makeover, I started with Zissner water based primer. Great stuff!

I completely covered the legs and sides, but left the top unpainted. I used Benjamin Moore's Simply White, a leftover from the playroom walls and shelf.


Then it was time to address the sharp corners. I had thought about just sanding down the corners, but even then it would still be a hard wood to bump into! So, I decided to try to pad it. I found this in the camping section of Walmart for about $6:
Using a staple gun, I attached it, padding the edges.
You can see I also secured the top with a few staples, too. I really like the consistency of this stuff. Squishy enough to absorb a hit, but not not pillow-like either. It fits tight enough that the curves of the piece still show. Hooray! It seems to be very sturdy, too. I recommend this stuff for your furniture padding needs!
Then I grabbed an old navy blue curtain and stapled that on, tucking the edges under.
Using hot glue and a fun ribbon, I hid all of those pesky staples. Bye-bye!

The paint job got banged up during the stapling, so I decided to distress the whole piece.

Distressed! The fun details in the legs, which faded away after being painted, are a little easier to see now. I'm glad I did it. ***I found out later that latex paint should really cure for a whole month before being distressed, otherwise peeling could result. Fortunately that was not really a problem here, but for my next project I will let the paint cure longer.

Hmmm. Still needs something. How about some fabric paint?
Behold, the magic of stenciling...
Ooh, la la!

As a bonus, it coordinates nicely with the brand-new curtains.

I plan to give the painted parts a topcoat of water-based polycrylic for protection. I'm about to redo another piece of furniture so I'll wait and coat them together. It will be an expensive touch at $17 for a quart, but I'm told it's the only kind of topcoat that won't yellow over time, and it should be enough for several projects going forward.

One more time, here's the before:
And the after:
All in all, I spent $25 on this redo ($17 for polycrylic, $6 for the padding, and $2 for ribbon). Not having kids hurt themselves on our furniture: priceless! Haha!

Linking up to:








Domestically Speaking


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

Weekend Bloggy Reading
Redoux
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap  up           party!
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

0 comments:

Post a Comment