Not a Tutorial, But...

....I wanted to show you anyway.
I know I had promised a DIY bouquet tutorial, but silly me forgot to bring the camera with me to my bouquet-making party! I *did* manage to remember them for the actual wedding, though, so at least I can show you how they turned out.
Makings bouquets is not difficult once you get started. God made the flowers, and they are more beautiful that any of us crafters can make in our garages, so you've got an advantage from the get-go! The secret is to generally use odd numbers of each type of flower in the bouquet, which keeps a rounded look. However, in these particular bouquets the big roses (David Austin Miranda variety) just worked better in 6's so I went with it. The more types of flowers you have in the bouquet, the less important it is. Thes bridesmaids' bouquets contain the English garden roses mentioned above, mini pink calla lillies, and white fresia. The fresia, of course, is very fragrant and wonderful. One of my favorites.

I make the bouquet in my hand and I never put them down from start to finish until they are all tied up. I use plain old rubber bands and, hide them with ribbon, and secure it with pearl-headed corsage pins.

I get my flowers from a local wholesaler (but pay sales tax since I'm not reselling them) the day before a wedding and they are always fresh. These photos were taken at a dinner reception after being used all morning, so can see a little bit of wilting, but after 8 hours out of water, it's to be expected. I order 20-30% more than what I think I need and then the extras get stuck in a vase to be enjoyed at the reception, by the guest book, or in the ladies' room, as seen here:

The bridal bouquet is an ivory version of the girls', but with a few waxflowers added on the outside for accent.
I truly enjoy helping brides with their flowers. It takes up the night before the wedding, but it's a great gift the the bride that saves hundreds or thousands of dollars! I would encourage anyone who is interested in DIY flowers to give it a try. I'm happy to answer any questions if you're trying to get started. You may also want to check out my DIY corsage tutorial for more ideas about what can be done so very simply!

Linking to:
504 Main

0 comments:

Post a Comment