Master Bedroom Makeover: Before


It was as if we never really moved into our own bedroom.

We moved to our current home while I was 7 months pregnant with our first child. At the time, I was in total nesting mode, but my first priority was the nursery, then the public spaces of the house. We set up the bedroom saying we would want to paint ever the pasty green walls spattered with random patches of spackle "sometime soon." But, we soon found out that having a baby out of the womb was a big time commitment (I love to laugh at my pre-mom self!), so we put it off. And eventually I stopped seeing the greenish walls, even though they clashed with our bedding set.
I used to like this bedding. We bought it right after our wedding just under seven years ago. But, as snuggly and warm as it is, it's starting to come apart from repeated washings. I also missed getting the shams along with the quilt and when I went back for them--poof! The solids were OK but not really what I wanted.  Also, we invested in a down alternative comforter (not shown) a few years ago, but still hadn't gotten a cover for it. I was tired of washing it all of the time and wanted to get a good cover for it.

My dear, sweet, talented grandfather made us the headboard, armoire, and one of the bedside tables as a wedding gift. It's a gorgeous cherry piece. And look what I was doing to it...piling photos on top because I was still thinking I would paint sometime soon. Why bother hanging them?


This side table was built by my father when I was a child. It's cute, but reflects the decor of my mother's home at the time--country. That's a small wood burnt flower design on the door. Not exactly a great side table for a manly man.

Beside the table, you can see the perpetual box of diabetic supplies that arrives at ourhome every few months. After a while, the box bacame part of the decor, whether we liked it or not. Blah. I needed to find another solution!

Along with our gorgeous family heirloom cedar chest, this photo shows off several yucky parts of the old room:  1) The cheapo blue curtains I bought as another "temporary solution" for the room, along with the plastic curtain rods left from the previous owner. 2) The worn, bluish-grey carpet hiding hardwood beneath 3) an ottoman separated from its glider, sitting here for no good reason at all.

Last, but not least, the ugly trash cans being used as laundry hampers. The foot pedals on both were broken and the price tag is half ripped off of one. Can you blame me for hating to do the laundry?
So, after three years of not loving our bedroom,  we decided it was time to tackle the project. It was time to make it look like home.

In short, this is what I wanted to change:
  • the curtains and rods
  • the bedding
  • the carpet 
  • the paint
  • one of the side tables
  • the laundry system
  • storage of medical supplies
  • photo display
And this is what I wanted to keep:
  • The furniture
  • The photos themselves, along with their frames
Not much, huh? But at least I wouldn't have to purchase any furniture, which would add up quickly. This was going to be a very cosmetic but very  dramatic change.

Here is the plan and budget I presented to my husband for his blessing:
  • find a beautiful duvet cover as the color inspiration--$100
  • paint the walls to complement the new bedding--$80
  • patch cracks and paint the ceiling--$25
  • rip out the carpet to reveal the honey-colored hardwood underneath-- free
  • replace curtains and rods--$150
  • refinish side table in a cherry stain to match the other furniture, and replace the hardware--$25
  • new sheets and bedskirt--$75
  • decor, storage, laundry, and odds and ends $100
Total budget:  $555

He said I could go for it. His only request was that I incorporate a blue into the room, since that is his favorite color. No problem! I got right to work. In my next post, I'll show you what we did with it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment