Down Memory Lane...



I read a quote recently about how all of your dreams don`t need to have an expiration date. I think that is so very true and we get caught up in wanting to fulfill all of our dreams and wishes in an instant, when sometimes they happen in the order they are supposed to. I am not sure if my weekend adventure qualifies as a dream, per se, but it certainly has been a wish of mine for as many years and I am not sure why it took me so long to see it through.

Memory Lane Heritage Village is tucked away in a tiny place called Lake Charlotte, a blink and you`ll miss it place on the map, but very well worth the trip. I read about Memory Lane about ten years ago when a local newspaper ran a feature on it. Set in the 1940`s and 1950`s, its vintage appeal was/is right up my alley and I made a mental note to check it out. Well, lo and behold, it took me a decade but I finally made it; and although the drive there was longer than I'd anticipated, it was worth every minute - especially since Sophie and her friend were as good as gold! Basically, as soon as I set foot on the path to one of the Village homes, two little sheep - one black and the other white - stepped out in front of me. Looking just like the little sheep in Sophie's favourite book, Emily's house , I knew they were a sign of good things to come.

Ever the dork sentimentalist, I even wore a retro-inspired dress and packed up a lunch in an old English wicker picnic basket I found at an antique shop last summer (it came stocked with butter-yellow flasks and mint condition bakelite cutlery). 

My sister would have had such a chuckle at my antics.

But when in Rome...


And knowing my love of retro fridges, can you imagine my excitement when I saw this pink beauty?! I could honestly have moved right in...until the sheep I met earlier made their way in through the front door, headed straight into the kitchen, and promptly peed on the floor!

(I didn`t take a photo of the pee...aren't you glad?)

Sophie had fun pretending she lived there:


And check out the cute kitchen sink of this little house:

Next up, we headed to the carpenter`s shop where the handyman got all excited about a scythe. Apparently he`s always liked them...not sure why. I have honestly always thought he was born in the wrong era and it turns out he would have made a great gentleman of the 1940`s.


And I have long called him "The Preacher", so he hopped up to the pulpit and did his thing:

(Except he looks a bit demented in this photo)

Off to the schoolhouse where I put Sophie in the naughty corner. Hey, did you notice the map? Much like the one I bought last year! I guess I have finally pinned down the era in which it was produced.



A wish fulfilled and another thing crossed off The List!

******************************

Now, what small dreams can you make happen for you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment