The $65 bathroom make-over...


As I sit here amidst the prettiest piles of photo shoot chaos - admiring the lights of the Christmas (yes, Christmas!) tree that glows in my living room, the perfectly styled dining table and my new ginormous light fixture that hangs above it (I love IKEA!) - I am amazed how inspired one can become when you know someone as style savvy as Matthew Mead will be photographing your home. So inspired, in fact, that you just might wake at dawn on the day of his arrival and decide to begin a spontaneous bathroom make-over, even though the bathroom is not on the list of rooms to be photographed! It seemed not to matter to me that my floor had not been cleaned and no surfaces dusted in many days due to a five-story deadline the day before for another magazine. Sometimes a creative spark just overrides good, old-fashioned common sense!

(Before):

(After):


I had been mulling over a particular wallpaper and finally picked it up at Home Depot and decided it would look best as a feature wall of sorts (read: I am too lazy to paper more than one wall when matching is required) in our main bathroom. Then I swung by the paint department and selected a seriously sunny spray paint to revive my chandelier, toilet paper holder (whose finish was in critical condition) and a cheap little table I picked up at Wicker Emporium five years ago. 

(Light, before):


After:

The result? Well, a couple of hours of wallpapering, a quick spray painting job, and a new shower curtain (purchased at Cost Plus World Market in Phoenix, AZ.)  - in between many loads of laundry, dusting, sweeping and vacuuming - and I completed my poorly timed but ultimately rewarding bathroom make-over. 

How did I spend my money?

$40 = wallpaper (one double roll: Home Depot)
$10 =  spray paint for chandelier, small table, and toilet paper holder.
$15 = shower curtain 

What about you? 
What is the least you have spent on a room make-over?

0 comments:

Post a Comment