Free Lighting...made by me!

 This year, I resolved to make many of my gifts - at least the ones I could - and this gift is my favourite yet!
My sister recently did a make-over on her kitchen and eating area but decided to wait until she found the perfect light. I know what kind of lighting she likes, so I decided I would plan a way to make or buy her what she wanted. 


 While on a walk with a friend recently, we were discussing lighting and she told me she had seen an HGTV (I think) feature on how to make your own sphere-style light. She told me it involved a beach ball, some glue and heavy string. Well, she lighted a fire under me and I vowed to make one for my sister. It took me several weeks to finally gather all of my supplies and take the time to make it but it is now complete! Remembering her brief instructions, I used an exercise ball (one I had used when in labour with Sophie), some sisal twine and fabric stiffener.

 I purchased the twine at the Dollar Store and had some fabric stiffener kicking around. So, for less than five dollars I made a replica of this beauty from here (retailing for ~ $160!):


 I also used a light kit I had from one of those paper lanterns, so the cost to me was literally next to nothing! I do wish I had bothered to Google the instructions, though, as I found out later on you should run the sisal through a dish of glue or stiffener as you wrap it around the ball. I didn't do that so I slathered the stiffener all over the ball and hung it up to dry for ~ 36 hrs. Mine isn't perfect, but I think it is pretty good for the price!
I will also assure her she doesn''t have to hang it in her kitchen if it isn't what she had in mind, but I think it will still make a fun light for another area in her home. 

Because I love my sister and LOVE making/buying her things!

0 comments:

Post a Comment