What was I thinking...???

I am, for lack of a better word, in toothache hell!!! It is a place I haven't been since I was a child, and would not even send my worst enemy to! I had a wisdom tooth removed on Wednesday. It was a "preventive health" decision only, as the tooth was below the gum and giving me no trouble. My young dentist felt I should really consider having it removed as it may have given me trouble in the future. Well, the future is the future, and I so wish I had waited!!! I had been skeptical in the first place about his advice, as (and I can't help this) I am often a bit suspicious of dentist's motives (childhood scars). I think he looked at me and saw $$ signs as he gave me the worst-case scenario of leaving the tooth in....(think massive infection that eats away at the jaw bone, unnoticed, leaving me with 2/3 of my jaw gone, etc. etc.). Well, the fear mongering worked and now I am in my own private purgatory. Funny thing is, as hubby and I were reading the list of post-op recommendations and restrictions, he looked at me and asked, "D0 you wanna get out of here...just leave??" He was serious, and unfortunately for me, I was feeling stupidly brave, and thought, "How bad could it be?". Indeed...

Long story short, I have alternated between crying, moaning, desperation and fear at the level of pain I'm under, and thus cannot blog, as I am afraid if I write about how I truly feel, there just might be some curse words involved. It is amazing how cranky and out of character pain can make one feel. I also feel true, deep sympathy for those who live with a high level of pain on a daily basis, or those who live with the despair of chronic pain that has no end in sight. Pain is all-consuming, and I am ever so hopeful mine will end soon. If there is an infection involved, I hope it will be quickly cleared up and if it is muscular (it feels like I have the most intense toothache in both my upper and lower teeth with a constant throbbing that makes me want to scream), that something will calm them down so I can get some relief.

Sorry for the prolonged venting, but I needed it, and I just wanted to let you know I can't write about anything until I get this under control...

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends...eat enough for me, too!! Oh, and for any of you considering elective dental surgery...DON"T DO IT!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment